I wasn’t a tomboy growing up, but I also wasn’t really into make-up. I never experimented until the last few years, at which point I discovered that I love testing out new and unique products. So when Ashley got me a subscription to Birchbox for my birthday, I thought this would be a fun way for me, a non-beauty expert, to share my thoughts on the various products I try.
If you aren’t familiar with Birchbox, it is a monthly subscription of personalized beauty, grooming and lifestyle samples, delivered to your front door. Birchbox will send you 5 samples tailored to your profile for $10 a month. It is a great and inexpensive way to explore different brands and products - if you like that sort of thing.
- Marcelle Mini Waterproof Eyeliner Travel Kit ($18) - I love occasionally lining the top of my eyes with a dark pencil. I like that it makes my eyes look more awake, a necessity after a night with a 6 month old who doesn’t like sleep. I wasn’t impressed with how unevenly this eyeliner went on and how faded it was after a few hours. Notably, better technique could improve the precision of the line.
- W3LL PEOPLE The Expressionist Mascara, 0.23oz ($23.50) - I don’t wear mascara everyday, even though I like how long and thick it makes my lashes look. The brush is small, but it seems to distribute the mascara evenly without looking clumpy. The overall effect isn’t dramatic and works well for an everyday look.
- COOLA Face SPF 30 Unscented Matte Tint, 1.7oz ($36) - I have every intention to put sunscreen on my face everyday, but in reality, I rarely do. Part of it has to do with laziness, but I also don’t like the sticky feeling that most sunscreens leave. This one is formulated with a matte texture and gives my skin the sun protection without looking greasy.
- Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator, 4.23oz ($34) - Lately, Max has been waking up more at night so I’ve been looking especially tired. I normally wash my face with a bar of cetaphil but the past couple days I’ve tried this face rejuvenator. It has a creamy texture with micro exfoliating beads. It goes on smoothly, washes off easily and leaves my face feeling fresh.
- Harvey Prince Hello Body Cream, 12oz ($22) - My skin is naturally dry so I always carry around a travel size lotion in my bag. This lotion easily rubs into your skin for a light, moisturized feeling but the hydrating effect doesn’t last long. In general, I prefer non-scented lotions so I didn’t care for the subtle floral aroma.